Live in a Home that Pays You Back
Barnes & Noble
Release Date: July 21, 2021
Published by: Friesen Press
A Complete Guide to Net Zero and Energy-efficient Homes
Featuring programs and resources for the U.S. and Canada
Whether you are planning to build, buy, or retrofit a home, this illuminating book takes you on a virtual tour of the home of the future. Award-winning author and respected housing expert Anna DeSimone lights the way for enjoying a home that is healthier, more comfortable, saves money, and reduces your carbon footprint. A practical reference guide that can be used for years to come, this book uncovers every part and parcel of the sustainable home, with clear explanations, helpful infographics, and hundreds of follow-up resources.
- An eye-opening look at the health benefits of energy-efficient homes, trends in household energy use, and its effect on greenhouse gas emissions. Explains a home’s true cost of homeownership after factoring lowered utility costs, enhanced property value, mortgage discounts, and other financial incentives. Learn how smart home technology helps monitor the health and safety of your family and pets. Important guidance about environmental toxins, biological pollutants, and non-toxic solutions.
- Renewable energy options covered include solar photovoltaic systems, wind energy, geothermal, hydro-electric power, and biomass. You’ll learn the infrastructure for grid-connected systems, billing credits, net metering, solar power purchase agreements, renewable energy certificates, and how positive energy can bring cash rewards.
- The “whole-house efficiency blueprint,” chapter describes how things work, along with eco-friendly options for roofs, siding, insulation, doors, windows, lighting, appliances, water conservation, heating, cooling, ventilation, heat pumps, air- and heat-exchange systems, indoor air quality, and more.
- Learn about the popular “zero energy ready” program, a high-performance home that is pre-wired with a renewable energy component. National green-building certification programs covered, such as Net Zero, Passive Home, Zero Carbon, etc. for the U.S. and Canada. The home building opportunities will inspire you to roll up your sleeves and be the general contractor. Explains construction for modular, manufactured, log and timber, and prefab home kits, along with photos of model homes.
- Everything you need to know about home energy scores and ratings. Explains evaluations for programs by the U.S. Department of Energy, RESNET HERS, and Canada EnerGuide.
- Mortgage financing covers down payment assistance, nationwide energy-efficient mortgage programs, PACE financing, mortgage qualification guides, and how to roll the retrofit costs into the mortgage. Features programs for U.S. and Canada.
Comprehensive directory of rebates and incentives for all U.S. states and Canada provinces. Find out about cash rebates and financial incentives from utility companies and local municipalities, along with key local government policies such as solar and wind access rights, and net metering laws.